International Higher Education
Welcome to the International Higher Education Professional Network.
The International Higher Education Network (IHEN) has been formed to help encourage awareness amongst AUA members of the international dimension to higher education. This group will provide an ideal opportunity to get involved in the international work of the AUA – and to help develop that work in the future.
Are you a member of this group? Log in to the Members' Area to access a more comprehensive page with recent news and uploaded resources.
International Higher Education Coordinator
Coordinator - Andrea Rabe MAUA, Birkbeck, University of London
Deputy Coordinators - Ellen Caddick MAUA, The Open University
Dave Lochtie MAUA, Roehampton University
Travel Award Coordinator - Lisa Burton MAUA, Warwick Business School
International Association Link Coordinator - Hetal Maniar MAUA, University of Portsmouth
European Development Coordinator - Vacant
The next Study Tour will vist for Poland during the 2014/15 academic year. Watch this space for applications to be part of our Poland Study Tour.
The AUA / AHUA Study Tour this year visited South Africa between 11 and 21 November 2012.
AUA members can view the South Africa Study Tour report. Non-members can see a sample of our publications of our Study Tour publications.
The IHEN is a focus for the organisation and support of the AUA’s considerable range of international activities including support for AUA members to travel internationally and to raise awareness of international perspectives on higher education within the AUA membership more generally.
The IHEN exists:
- To provide specialist advice to the AUA Board of Trustees in relation to international matters, both proactively and in response to requests from the Board
- To promote awareness and understanding amongst AUA members of the international dimension to higher education
- To support members in gaining a greater understanding of the international dimension of higher education through promoting and encouraging opportunities for AUA members based in the UK and Ireland to gain experiences in other countries
- To assist the Board of Trustees in promoting and selecting recipients of Travel Awards
- To assist the Board of Trustees in developing Study Tours
- To contribute to the AUA Annual Conference by proposing and advising on appropriate sessions relevant to the international dimension in higher education
- To support the network of AUA international links with partner organisations in other countries and to develop links in countries without such partnerships
- To network with other organisations and sources of expertise within and outside the higher education sector
- To assist AUA in disseminating good practice gained through international interactions, through publications and events
- To provide a forum for AUA members to discuss areas of shared interest around the international dimension in higher education.
The IHEN is specifically designed to be a group for all AUA members working in any capacity who have an interest in how HEIs operate in different national and international contexts.
Enthusiasm and a willingness to bring ideas for activities inside and outside of the UK and Ireland are the most important qualities of IHEN members!
All AUA international correspondents with partner organisations will automatically become members of the IHEN. Other AUA members who may find membership of the IHEN particularly beneficial will include recipients of travel awards and members of Study Tours. Membership remains, however, completely open to all AUA members with an interest in the work of the IHEN.
To join the International Higher Education Professional Network please email the AUA.